Since January I’ve been doing the bulk of my grocery shopping a month at a time. I still get milk and eggs every week, and produce through my health food store every two weeks. It’s been very nice to just spend a few hours getting my lists together and orders in and then mostly forgetting about it! I’ve also managed to lower our food bill each month. I think that’s mainly due to David coming home for lunch, so we’ve been eating more inexpensive lunches. I got a big case of oranges, 10 lbs. of lemons and a 25 lb. bag of oats from Azure Standard so we’ll be eating lots of citrus and oatmeal the next few weeks.
Russian Rye Bread-recipe coming soon!
While I’m planning out our meals a month in advance, I do still change our meals around based on what we feel like eating. I’ve mostly stopped planning on having a certain meal on a certain day. Instead, I just have seven breakfasts, lunches and suppers planned and choose based on what we feel like eating and how busy my day is. This is the plan for this week:
- Yogurt and granola x3
- Baked oatmeal and oranges x2
- Scrambled eggs and toast
- Pancakes, smoothies and oranges
- Leftovers and smoothies x3
- Salad with hardboiled eggs, oranges x2
- Almond butter, banana and honey sandwiches
- Quinoa-waldorf salad with chicken, oranges
- Leftovers, quesadillas, whatever I come up with for Sunday!
- Rice, red beans and cornbread
- Roast, potatoes and carrots
- Chicken-noodle soup and Russian rye bread
- Tostadas and guacamole
- Salad with chicken
What are you planning on cooking this week?