This was a last-minute, I-forgot-to-plan-supper meal. I was trying to use up the odds and ends from the refrigerator, and wanted something different than plain old fried rice.
Well, this ended up being a huge hit! Daniel was shoveling it into his mouth so fast he was flinging rice over his shoulder - not even kidding. Everyone else loved it too, and I was happy to have another filling, nutritious meal that uses cabbage.
You likely have all the ingredients on hand, and it comes together in the time it takes to cook the rice. And you don't need the oven! I'm already switching to more stovetop meals (like these ever-popular stovetop enchiladas), since we've almost hit the 90's here in middle Tennessee. This Korean Beef Stir Fry is definitely going to be a summer staple. I think finishing the meal with some pineapple whip (made with coconut milk) would be great!
Korean Beef Stir Fry
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 head of cabbage, shredded (I will use more next time!)
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Place ground beef into a large, heavy pot. Cook over medium heat until browned, chopping into small pieces. Scoop out of pot and into a bowl, and set aside.
2. Add coconut oil to pot. When melted, add cabbage, carrots, and onion. Raise heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and cabbage are crisp but almost tender (not quite cooked enough).
3. While vegetables are cooking, whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl.
4. One vegetables are cooked, add garlic and ground beef to the pot and lower heat to medium. Pour 2/3 of sauce into pot and stir to combine. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until sauce has thickened and the vegetables are softened.
5. Serve over hot, cooked rice, and the remaining sauce. Toppings are optional, but fun and delicious!
Chow mein noodles (some brands have hydrogenated oils, so read labels!)
Squeeze of lime juice
I also served roasted broccoli with this - also a family-favorite.