Many thanks to Weelicious for the original version of this recipe - it's a family staple now!
I've tested these with many different variations, and they've all come out great. Gluten-free, dairy-free, whole grains, honey instead of sugar, sweet potato instead of pumpkin . . . it's hard to mess these up!
I keep these on hand through the fall and winter months. They're a tasty, healthy morning snack that I like to send with the caveboys when they go outside to play/run/roll in the dirt/climb trees.
The gluten-free version of this recipe is the least crumbly gluten-free muffin I've ever had. You can use any gluten-free flour blend you'd like, but lately I've been mixing my own, and I'm very happy with it. I'll share that recipe soon! Who knew gluten-free pumpkin muffins could actually be . . . not sandy!
Sub coconut or almond milk and melted coconut oil if you're looking for dairy-free pumpkin muffins. I've also used a flax egg in place of the egg, and the muffins came out great - totally vegan pumpkin muffins! Seriously, this is the most versatile pumpkin muffin recipe ever.
Favorite Pumpkin Muffins
1 3/4 C. flour (I use 1 cup kamut flour, 3/4 cup all purpose, sub GF flour blend if desired)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. each cloves and ginger
6 T. butter (use coconut oil for DF!)
1/2 C. sugar (can use 1/3 cup honey instead*)
1 C. pumpkin puree
1/3 cup milk (use almond or coconut milk for DF!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners (unless you like to wash the pan. Then just spray the cups with cooking spray).
2. In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Or the pan you fried eggs in this morning, because it's totally clean enough. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, pumpkin, egg, and milk. Stir in the melted butter.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Scoop into muffin tin, then bake for 18-22 minutes, until edges just start to brown.
5. Let cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
*If using honey, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 25 minutes, then check. Honey burns sooner than sugar, and needs lower heat!